* This lesson is part of the PrintLab Classroom lesson portal. To purchase one-year access to 3D printing lesson plan portal, click here. *
In this one-hour lesson students will explore the pros and cons of mass production vs 3D printing before designing their own personalized model. After the introduction presentation and discussion session, they will go through their student workbook to design and 3D print a personalized chopsticks holder using Tinkercad software. The lesson involves context about mass production along with CAD design and 3D printing. Enrolling in PrintLab Classroom will give you complete access to the teacher training material and lesson documents. This includes content to help you prepare and deliver the lesson along with design tutorials so you become familiar with the process prior to teaching it in the classroom.
The lesson can be incorporated into the study of art, design technology, or computing, and can be adapted for ages 7-15.
In this lesson students will:
- Develop contextual knowledge of mass production
- Develop contextual knowledge of personalized products
- Explore the pros and cons of mass production vs 3D printing
- Design personalized CAD models to set dimensions
- Manufacture personalized products through 3D printing
Each student will require:
1 x laptop/computer with mouse and internet access
The teacher will require:
1 x screen for presentation
1 x 3D printer and filament
1 x laptop/computer preloaded with slicing software for your 3D printer