* This lesson is part of the PrintLab Classroom lesson portal. To purchase one-year access to 3D printing lesson plan portal, click here. *
In this one-hour lesson students will be introduced to the basic principles and industrial uses of 3D modeling. After the introduction presentation, they will go through their student workbook to design and 3D print an architectural model along with a customized keyring. The lesson involves context about 3D modeling along with CAD design and 3D printing. Enrolling in PrintLab Classroom will give you complete access to the teacher training material and lesson documents. This includes content to help you prepare and deliver the lesson along with design tutorials so you become familiar with the process prior to teaching it in the classroom.
The lesson can be incorporated into the study of art, design technology, or computing, and can be adapted for ages 7-15.
In this lesson students will:
- Develop contextual knowledge of 3D modeling
- Explore the industry uses of 3D modeling
- Design CAD models to set dimensions
- Manufacture customized products through 3D printing
Each student will require:
1 x laptop/computer with mouse preloaded with Sketchup Make 2017 (free from https://www.sketchup.com/download/all)
The teacher will require:
1 x screen for presentation
1 x 3D printer and filament
1 x laptop/computer preloaded with slicing software for your 3D printer